Wednesday, June 15, 2011

VALUES & ETHICS IN CONFLICT RESOLUTION


          “For most conflict resolvers…the purpose of our work goes beyond finding better ways of solving conflict. It involves a commitment to contribute to a better world” (Mayer, 2000, p.242).  Likewise, I find conflict resolution appealing because I aspire to strengthen and enhance the relationships between individuals, primarily between children and youth and families.  In my humble opinion, the breakdown of the family structure has led to the downward slump in American society’s educational and legal systems.  In addition domestic violence and divorce, sexually active pre-teens and adolescents, teen pregnancy, and adolescent drug and alcohol usage, (among other factors) are all too common within our culture; so much so, they have began to become the norm instead of the anomalous.  Based on my Christian and religious values, I believe it is inevitable that the world as we know it will continue in turmoil, until the nations bring damnation upon themselves (as I digress).  Yet I feel as if it is my duty to assist and be of benefit to as many people as possible along the way.  My mission is to be a positive light and resource for anyone I come into contact with.  Therefore conflict resolution will provide me with a better means of doing so.  Not only will it be of benefit in a professional arena, but hopefully within my personal life as well.
            In order to seek ethical guidance as I engage in conflict resolution, I will utilize the following sources: mentors in the field of psychology, my father and brother (whom are ministers), legal and accredited textbooks and documents based on ethics and confidentiality, various family, friends, and colleagues, and the Bible.  Depending upon the circumstances, any of these will be beneficial.

Mayer, B. (2000). The dynamics of conflict resolution: A practitioner’s guide. San   Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment